About WeGO & What is WeGO’s EXCOM Meeting?
President city of the
Seo Jong Hyup
The president of the organization
The World Smart Sustainable Cities Organization (WeGO), established by 50 founding members in 2010, is an international association of city and other local governments, smart tech solution providers, and national and regional institutions committed to the transformation of cities into smart sustainable cities.
WeGO’s Secretariat is based in Seoul and supported by regional offices in East Asia (Chengdu, China), Eurasia (Ulyanovsk Region, Russia), the Mediterranean (Beyoğlu, Turkey), and Latin America (Mexico City, Mexico).
WeGO has more than 200 members around the world and serves as their international platform to improve the quality of life, innovate in the delivery of public services, and strengthen regional competitiveness.
The WeGO Executive Committee (EXCOM) guides the operations of WeGO and provides support for WeGO projects. The committee convenes annually in a host city selected through an official bidding process. Other invited non-EXCOM local governments and institutions also take part and share their opinions.
EXCOM members serve a term of three years and may be re-elected. The current members (2017-2020) are Addis Ababa, Beyoglu, Bucharest, Chengdu, Hebron, Goyang, Ha Noi, Jakarta, Khartoum State, Kigali, Makati, Mexico City, Moscow, Nairobi, Pittsburgh, Seberang Perai, Seoul, Ulaanbaatar and Ulyanovsk Region.
More About Past EXCOM Meetings
MISSION & VISION
To promote and facilitate the transformation of cities to smart sustainable cities worldwide
To foster international exchange, cooperation, and learning among cities
To be a global platform for cities to enhance their digital capabilities and leverage their innovation potentials in order to develop transformative solutions for smart sustainable cities
WeGO’s vision is to create “Smart Sustainable Cities for All”, in other words innovative cities that leverage digital technology and connectivity to improve the quality of life, efficiency of urban operation and services, and economic prosperity for all citizens, while ensuring long-term economic, social, and environmental sustainability.
Regional Offices / EXCOM Members
East Asia Regional Office
- Chengdu is the administrative center of Sichuan province in South-Central China. As of 2019 the population of Chengdu was 16.33 million.
- The city is considered one of the economic centers of China, where many IT-companies are headquartered. Chengdu is considered a benchmark city in terms of the investment climate in China. In addition, this city is home to one of the country's largest aerospace industries-Chengdu Aircraft Industry Corporation.
- Chengdu is the center of information technology in China, the city with the largest investment inflow in Western and Central China.
Eurasia Regional Office
- In 2019, the population of Ulyanovsk was 630 thousand people,
- The city is ranked 21st in the list of the largest cities in Russia
- The Ulyanovsk region has created attractive conditions for implementing the innovative potential of Russian and foreign scientists in the nuclear, aviation, and agricultural sectors through the targeted development of promising high-tech projects,
- One of the Top-10 most innovative regions in Russia
Latin America Regional Office
- Mexico City is the capital of Mexico
- Population - 9 million, the largest Spanish-speaking city in the world
- Refers to global cities, leading financial centers in North America
- The city's industry produces over 20% of the country's GDP
- The main sectors of the economy are the automotive industry, metalworking, electronics, as well as the rapidly developing chemical, food, oil refining and textile industries
Mediterranean Regional Office
- Beyoglu is a district located in Istanbul (Turkey).
- Surrounded by the waters of the Bosphorus and the Golden Horn Bay.
- Population - 230 526 people.
- Since the mid-1990s, Beyoglu has been considered one of the leading urban areas with the fastest growing economy
- The main sectors of the economy are mechanical engineering, shipbuilding, chemical and light industry, tourism.
WeGO EXCOM members:
- Addis Ababa
- Ha Noi
- Khartoum State
- Seberang Perai